Level 2 Certificate
Supporting Learning in PE & School Sport
The 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport (QCF) has been developed in partnership with the Association for Physical Education (afPE) and is supported by employers and the industry.
The qualification aims to provide you with an introduction to a number of roles through an engagement with physical education and school sport (PESS). These roles include teaching, activity leadership and coaching for young people.
While this qualification is delivered through the medium of PESS, the skills may be used by you in other sporting environments, under appropriate guidance. 100% of the learning that you will receive will support you in being able to assist others in the delivery of physical education and school sport in a suitable environment.
The qualification is composed of nine mandatory units. Upon successful completion of the qualification you will be awarded 18 credits.
During your achievement of the qualification you will complete the following learning outcomes:
- Be able to understand key legislation related to physical education and school sport
- Be able to understand and apply the principles of teaching physical education and coaching school sport
- Be able to understand the principles of safe practice in physical education and school sport
- Be able to understand the principles of child development through movement
- Be able to promote lifelong health and well-being
- Be able to understand the principles of inclusion in physical education and school sport
- Prepare for physical education and school spot activities
- Be able to lead physical education and school sport activities
- Be able to conclude and review physical education and school sport activities
Programmes of learning and assessment involve a mixture of activity plans, simulation and written tasks to support your development within the area of Physical Education and School Sport.
The qualification is designed to prepare you for employment in paid or voluntary roles which enable you to support the delivery of physical education and sport activities in a school sport environment.
Prior to REGISTRATION you are required to:
- be 16 years of age or over
- be able to effectively communicate in English prior to registering for the qualification
This qualification may lead to paid or voluntary roles as a coach, children’s activity professional or sports leader in schools, enabling you to support the delivery of physical activity, under the guidance and supervision of a qualified teacher, normally as part of a schools overarching curriculum.
The skills and knowledge developed through this qualification may also be used to enable you to progress to other industry-relevant qualifications in coaching, activity leadership, supporting PE in school sport and sports development.