Level 2 Certificate
The Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instructing is designed to support you in your role as a gym instructor in a fitness facility.
The aim of this qualification is to help you develop the skills and knowledge required to be able to work unsupervised as a fitness instructor.
The qualification is the first step on the pathway to becoming a fully qualified Personal Trainer.
During the qualification you will learn to plan, deliver and review safe and effective exercise programmes within a gym or health club environment.
- Anatomy, physiology and nutrition and how they relate to exercise and fitness
- Health and safety in the fitness environment
- The skills to conduct client and group inductions in a gym-based environment and support exercise adherence and a healthy lifestyle
- The skills to plan, instruct and supervise safe and effective exercise and physical activity sessions
- Professionalism for fitness instructing
- Personal and professional development
- Delivering exceptional customer service
To pass the qualification successfully you will be required to complete the following assessments:
- A portfolio of short answer questions
- A multiple-choice open book online exam (Anatomy & Physiology)
- Assessor Observations covering the following:
- Professionalism and customer care for fitness instructors
- Conducting client consultations to support positive behaviour change
- Planning and instructing gym-based exercise
- Be aged 16+
- Have some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended
- The course requires physical exertion, and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary
- There is an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication
This qualification leads to paid or voluntary roles in gym and fitness instructing in a variety of settings, but most commonly within a gym or fitness environment.
The skills and knowledge developed through completion of his qualification may also enable you to progress from a qualified Level 2 Gym Instructor into a personal training role.
This qualification provides progression to:
- Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training
The Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instructing is recognised as the industry standard level 2 qualification for fitness instructing and successful learners will be able to seek REPS membership at Level 2.